Filter:

Sort by:

Filter by Categories

BJC in the News 8.10.2015 and 8.17.2015

Author: KATHRYN H./Monday, August 10, 2015

As a leader in health care, BJC and its hospitals and service organizations are frequently featured in the media, both locally and nationally. Following are some recent highlights:

The future of Fulton Medical Center is in question as a proposed hospital in Columbia (opposed by Boone Hospital Center board and CEO Jim Sinek), reported the Fulton Sun Aug. 9.

The number of children from around the world helped by dorsal rhisotomy surgery at St. Louis Children's Hospital continues to grow, including: Amber Porterfield of Walsall, England, reported the Walsall Advertiser Aug. 9; Sophie Thomlinson of Manchester, England, reported the Daily Mail Aug. 9. On Aug. 17, Florida activist, author and cerebral palsy patient Nicole Luongo talked to  the Florida Sun-Sentinel about her experience with dorsal rhisotomy at SLCH. The Glasgow, Scotland, Daily Record reported Aug. 17 that six-year-old Jessica Penny continued to make astounding progress three years after her surgery at SLCH

Washington University cardiologist at Barnes-Jewish Hospital Justin Vader, MD, appeared on Fox2Now Aug. 11 to talk about a new device that can be implanted in the pulmonary artery to remotely monitor congestive heart failure patients.

Number of views (2811)/Comments (7)

7 comments on article "BJC in the News 8.10.2015 and 8.17.2015"

Allison thomlinson

8/27/2015 3:08 PM

hi I am Allison Sophie thomlinsons mum .Sophie has had SDR performed by Dr T.S.Park on August 11th 2015. The surgery has made such a difference too Sophie and we are only 2 weeks post op.. In order to come over here for the surgery we had to fundraise as our NhS in England did not think Sophie was disabled enough to fund the surgery. Sophie and myself have had alot of media coverage in our process. But we are so thankfull to DR Park and his team for giving Sophie her new leggies.

KATHRYN H.

8/27/2015 3:20 PM

Allison,

We are always thrilled to hear about kids who are able to get on their feet thanks to the work of Dr. Park and his team! Know that you and Sophie are inspirations to all you encounter at St. Louis Children's Hospital, and we're wishing you all the best. And, by the way, Sophie has the most dazzling smile!

Nicole Luongo

12/19/2015 3:33 PM

Thank you for featuring me in BJC in the News. I'm honored! I continue to advocate for SDR with Dr. Park and will celebrate 3 years post-op next March. :-)

KATHRYN H.

12/22/2015 9:52 AM

Nicole,

You simply ROCK! Congrats on your success and for giving back!

Nicole

3/31/2016 9:36 AM

Thanks, Kathryn! I'm sorry for the late reply, just seeing this now. I just celebrated my third SDR Anniversary on Tuesday. I'm still advocating for SDR. I even wrote to President Obama!

KATHRYN H.

3/31/2016 9:43 AM

YAY! Nicole, you are showing what SDR and a strong will can do for people with CP. Congratulations!!

Nicole

3/31/2016 11:46 AM

Thank you, Kathryn! My article about SDR for The Huffington Post just reached 7.2K likes yesterday...wow!! This blog post has the link to the article: https://bareyournakedtruth.wordpress.com/about-selective-dorsal-rhizotomy-sdr/